Torquay Website: Parent Information PAC News
Please attend our upcoming AGM on Wednesday, May 18th at 6:30 pm in Torquay’s library where we will vote on electing two vacant PAC executive positions, our 2016-17 budget, as well as our highly anticipated new lower playground.
Also, we would like to extend our heartfelt thanks to Renata K. for all her hard work on planning our Spring Fair. Thank you to all those who help to contribute to make this our most successful Spring Fair in recent memory.
PAC Meeting Minutes:
- Torquay has had 5 grants approved for this year.
- Enhancing Learning Grant: Looking at Core Competencies and Freshgrade Reporting
- Aboriginal Enhancing Learning: Looking at embedding the Enhancement Agreement and Spirit of Alliance into our framework of understanding Canadian History
- Technology : Using Chromebooks and Google Apps to support student learning
- English Language Learners: Using iPad minis to support oral language development
- School Garden Grant to create a school vegetable garden in partnership with the Garth Homer Society and the local Gordon Head community
- Two additional ProD Days will be added this year: to train teachers on the new curriculum. Dates: January 11 and April 4
- The Christmas Concert will be on Dec 16 and 17 @ 1:45 (approximately 40 minutes long). The dress rehearsal will be on Dec 15th
- Literacy Week – Theme this year will be “Reading is an Adventure” – will take place on last week of January 25-29. There will be a Pancake Breakfast on the Friday of that week and families will be invited to attend.
Thank you to parents for a successful donation drive. The donations will support all classroom teachers, the English Language Learners program, and the new playground.
The planning and fundraising for the new playground continues. The wooden playground has been removed. The PAC voted to hire Victoria Garden City to create a conceptual diagram for Torquay outlining what a new natural playground could look like. The diagram will incorporate feedback from parents, students, and school staff. This process must be completed prior to any construction on a new playground. This will cost $1500.
New Lunch Offering! In the New Year, Sushi will be offered as a lunch option on February 5th and April 22nd.
Other Fundraising Opportunities? Kernels Popcorn and start up with Thrifty Foods again.